The Coronavirus has affected many industries around the globe, and it is not sparing creative industries. One of the ways this phenomenon has affected the photography industry would have to be how all the cancellations are affecting freelance photographers. Probably those who are most affected are the event photographers, simply because most (if not all) events have already been postponed or worse, canceled.
Many photographers have probably been spending the last couple of weeks thinking about what they can do to make a living while this pandemic is still ongoing. While many businesses have slowed down or stopped altogether, the news hasn’t. And now, more than ever, the demand for photojournalists is greater than ever. Photojournalists are at the forefront of world events and crises as they record what’s happening to keep the public informed. Despite the lockdown implementations all over the world, photojournalists are still heading outside to document pivotal moments of this global pandemic.
So, what does this mean for photographers? Now, could be the best time to learn how to take photojournalism photos. If you think you have what it takes to work on the front lines of any unfolding or newsworthy story, then PonD News Asia may be the perfect tool for you to earn as a photojournalist.
But if photojournalism doesn’t interest you, that’s okay! There’s still a lot of opportunities for you to productively use the free time you have right now. Currently, a lot of companies are offering discounted and free resources and online courses that you can utilize to further improve your knowledge and skills in photography, so you can come out better than ever after the lockdown.
Check out the list below:
- Adobe has not officially associated their 2 free months of creative cloud with the crisis, but nevertheless, a discount on the most widely used software for photographers is a great gesture in this time of need.
- Nikon School Online offers courses for free for the month of April.
- Leica has a series of free #StayHomeWithLeica courses available during the lockdown.
- Olympus is also offering up some free education classes under their #HomeWithOlympus Sessions.
In addition, here are some totally free Facebook groups and communities you can join to further widen your horizon in the field of photography!
- Workshop from Home of Doc Nicco Valenzuela: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207764417123992/?ref=bookmarks
- Stan’s Sharing Space: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2246797695592542/
- Group of photojournalists where they also welcome uploads of non-photojournalists LockdownDiariesPH: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LockdownDiariesPH/
- Canon PH Presents Canon Digital Master Class Series for a Cause https://www.facebook.com/canonphils/
- Learn photography, videography by watching Fujifilm PH’s free online classes https://www.facebook.com/watch/fujifilmphilippines/
- PonD Online Workshops: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2470654163024165/
Want to give Photojournalism a shot? Watch our series on Citizen Photojournalism at our YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcPYzSKNg-YO5Qp1UprGEwA
Interested in becoming a PonD Citizen Photojournalist? Visit our website https://pond.ph/apply-now/ for more information and how to join.